Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I can pronounce the ingredients!


One of the things I love about South Africa is that the food seems to contain less crap than in the U.S.  And by crap I mean preservatives and other artificial ingredients. Most of the time, I can pronounce all the ingredients on a label without paying insane prices to do so. Nice!!!

Take a look at the labels on a few items we have around the house.

Nacho Chips:

Salted Caramel Ice Cream (aka heaven in a plastic carton):

Strawberry Jam:

Peanut Butter:

Fruit, veggies, meat, milk, bread and eggs have a short shelf life because they rarely contain preservatives. At first, this was irritating because we were running to the store to replace ingredients way more often than we did at home. However, after thinking about it, I realized it’s the way it SHOULD be!!! If you ask me, bread and milk were not meant to last more than a week. It makes me wonder what kinds of crap they put in our food in the U.S. to make it last such a long time.

This is not to say that preservatives and artificial ingredients are never used here. Of course they are. But it seems to be used in fewer products. Just like the U.S., you will pay a premium for products certified as GMO free, hormone free, cruelty free, organic, free range, pesticide free, etc., but the normal products are still quality, which I appreciate.

South Africa is surprisingly self-sufficient, producing a large percentage of food and food products here in the country. If you read the labels, most things are “made in the RSA” or “a product of South Africa.” Note: RSA is the Republic of South Africa (its official name). I would say that food prices are slightly less than the U.S. if the item is produced here in South Africa. However, the prices skyrocket when the item is imported. And by skyrocket, I mean $32 for a pound of Starbucks coffee beans (just criminal!) or $12 for a small package of double-stuffed Oreo cookies. And, if you decide to splurge on the item, it might be stale or taste different than you expected.

I will be doing more posts on food soon. J

Love,
Jess & Mat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your study on food commodities to be very interesting Book back in the day before planes trains and automobiles that is how all food was produced in manufactured Simply was not processed shipped around the world and have a very long shelf life Thanks for the info I love you!